Ever heard of task batching vs. time blocking? Chances are, you’ve probably at least heard them mentioned at one time or another. They’re the OGs of time management after all…and they just so happen to be some of my favorite strategies too!
Task batching is when you group like-tasks together, or tasks related to one project, and get them done in an allotted time period. Time blocking, on the other hand, refers to when you actually schedule the tasks into specific blocks during the day.
But believe it or not, there’s actually a pretty big difference between the two, but they often get roped together and used interchangeably. However, when you have a better idea of what they do and how they can help you stay productive, organized, and on top of your to-do list, they can be a game changer!
Task batching vs. time blocking — and why the difference it matters
Bad news to all my multitaskers out there — multitasking is the fastest way to kill productivity! That’s because when you multi-task, when you shift your focus from one thing to another, what you do becomes less efficient. And it can actually take an average of 23 minutes to get re-focused after getting distracted!
That’s why far too often we end the day feeling “busy” but not necessarily “productive.” And it’s also where both task batching and time blocking come in handy. But first, you need to know how to do them effectively, so you can get the most bang for your buck (or in this case…your time!).
In this episode, we’ll talk about:
- The difference between task batching and time blocking
- Why they both can be effective time management strategies
- How to use them both well
- Episode 176: Using Systems to Honor Your Priorities With Elizabeth McCravy: https://annadkornick.com/using-systems-to-honor-your-priorities-with-elizabeth-mccravy/
- How task batching can increase your productivity at work: https://asana.com/id/resources/task-batching
- The Chaos to Calm quiz: https://annadkornick.com/quiz
- Time Management Essentials: www.timemanagementessentials.com
Subscribe & Review In Apple Podcasts
If you really like what you hear, I’d be so grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Your review plays a HUGE role in helping others find out about It’s About Time. And honestly, they’re really fun for me to read! Click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what you’re loving about It’s About Time. Thank you!!
- It’s Not Just For Cookies: How To Take Back Your Time With Task Batching Featuring Time Management Coach Amanda Warfield
- Back To Basics: The Three Time Management Strategies Everyone Should Be Using (For More Productivity And Better Work/Life Balance)
- The Her Renewed Strength Interview | Is There Something Wrong With You Or Is It Time For A New Time Management System?