LISTEN IN APPLE PODCASTS | LISTEN IN SPOTIFY | LISTEN IN STITCHER
Episode 101 is all about a little less talk…. And a lot more listening.
Yes – listening!
So often when we think about communication, we just think about the talking part.
How can I be a better speaker? How can I get my point across? How can I persuade someone to get on my side. How can I speak in a way that people can understand me?
And while the talking part is obviously pretty important – communication is critical to making the most of our time because of communicating our expectations, giving clear instructions, and more – but it’s the flipside, the listening part that must be mastered in order to become an effective communicator.
In this week’s episode, I did a lot of listening to my guest, Dr. Melissa Thompson, a communication expert – and with good reason. She had so many amazing, actionable tips for not just being a great conversationalist, or a great listener, just wait til you hear about her morning routine and how she organizes her days.
About Melissa Thompson
Dr. Melissa Thompson is a consultant and coach at Success Labs with experience in interpersonal communication, public speaking, and talent development. She works with individuals and companies to grow leaders, build teams and drive results through great people strategy.
In addition to her role at Success Labs, she also serves as an organizer and speaker coach for TEDxLSU since its inception in 2012 and is an adjunct faculty member in the LSU E.J. Ourso College of Business. She holds a BA in Communication Studies from LSU and an MA and PhD in Communication Theory from the University of Memphis.
Melissa is a sustaining member of the Junior League of Baton Rouge and serves in both local and national volunteer roles for Delta Gamma.
In today’s conversation with Melissa, she shares…
- How GoCleanCo inspired her super efficient morning routine
- How she makes time to volunteer in the community, teach a college course, and work her full-time job as a coach and consultant
- What it really means to be a good listener, plus how to be a better active listener
- How to balance being an efficient communicator that gets things done with cultivating authentic connection through intentional conversation
Stay in Touch with Melissa and Success Labs
- Connect with Melissa on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Success Labs – mysuccesslab.com
- Facebook – facebook.com/successlabs
- Instagram – @success_labs
- LinkedIn – linkedin.com/company/success-labs/
Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- GoCleanGo – The cleaning company that inspired Melissa’s “up, down, left, right” morning routine
- Instacart – Melissa’s go-to grocery delivery service
- Peloton – Melissa’s favorite way to squeeze in a workout on a busy day
- Celeste Headlee’s TED Talk – 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
If you’re enjoying It’s About Time so far, I hope you’ll take a moment to subscribe if you haven’t yet – I don’t want you to miss an episode! Click here to subscribe on iTunes.
If really like what you hear, I’d be so grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Your review plays a HUGE role in helping others find out about It’s About Time. And honestly, they’re really fun for me to read! Click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what you’re loving about It’s About Time. Thank you!!
Be the first to comment